Dropbox is a file hosting service that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, and client software.
Integration with Dropbox is a disaster recovery solution in the event you must print your deliverables off-site. BriteCore print jobs are uploaded to folders inside your Dropbox application during nightly processing. 3-days worth of print jobs are storted within Dropbox. The 4th day print jobs then replace the 1st day.
Dropbox provides users with 2GB of free space, which allows for storage of approximately 174,000 two-page PDFs. A normal two-page PDF needs approximately 12KB of storage.
Create a Dropbox Account
- Go to Dropbox
- In the Sign up for free area, type your name, email, and password
- Review terms of service
- Click the checkbox next to I Agree to Dropbox Terms
- Click the blue Sign up for free button
- Dropbox will prompt you to download and install their application on your computer. Download and install the application
- In BriteCore, navigate to Settings > Vendors > Download Solutions > Dropbox
- Check the box
- Click the pencil
- When prompted, sign in to your Dropbox account to connect it to BriteCore
- When the Allow BriteCore Print Backups message appears, click Allow. Once your account has finished initializing, Dropbox will redirect you to the BriteCore vendor screen
- Each evening, your print job will be pushed to Dropbox
- In the event that you must print off-site
- Go to Dropbox
- Sign in using your Dropbox username and password
- Click the Dropbox icon in the left side navigation to view your folders
- Click the Apps folder to open it
- In the Apps folder, click the BriteCore Print Backups link
- In the BriteCore Print Backups folder, click the Date link for the date you wish to view
- In the Date folder, click the Date of the print job you wish to view
- In the Date folder, click the policies you wish to view
- Click on any of the deliverables you wish to download, view, or reprint
What if I want to batch print the deliverables rather than one-at-a-time?
- Install Print Conductor
- Once installed, download the print file from Dropbox to your computer in Dropbox > Apps > BriteCore > Print Backups
- Open Print Conductor
- Click the Add Folder icon at the top of the Print Conductor screen
- Browse to the saved backup folder you just downloaded from Dropbox and open it
- The contents of the imported folder will display on the Print Conductor dashboard. From the dashboard you can open and preview documents, print documents, remove documents from the list, clear the list, or mass print documents in the list
- Select a printer from the Select Printer drop-down box. If you're off-site, work with the vendor (e.g., Kinkos) to get your computer to communicate with their printer
- Click the Start button located in the bottom-right corner of the screen
Upload Missing Files
If already-printed files fail to upload to Dropbox, run
dropbox_backup in shell > daycron. Engineers may read PR 5165 for more information.
Report unclear or missing documentation.